Emergency dental care
Serving patients throughout Caversham, Emmer Green and Reading
If you have toothache, a broken tooth that is causing you discomfort or have damaged your mouth in an accident, please give us a call on 0118 947 2517. If you call early in the morning we will try and arrange an emergency dental appointment for you for the same day.
As we work on an appointment system, all emergencies have to be fitted in between or after the existing appointments. We will try our best to minimise waiting time for emergency patients, but we respectfully ask patients to be aware that in some cases there may be an unavoidable delay.
Outside of practice hours patients may ring the usual practice number 0118 947 2517. The recorded message will then advise you how to contact the Prospect Street Dental Practice team.
Whilst waiting for your appointment you may want to try the following steps to help you manage any dental emergencies:
- If it’s painful, use over the counter pain relief such as paracetamol (unless advised not to by your GP)
- Rinse your mouth out with warm water
- Apply pressure on any bleeding areas using gauze or a wet teabag
- Apply an icepack to your cheek if there’s any swelling
- If you have access to it, cover any major cracks with temporary dental cement
- If you have suffered trauma where a tooth has been completely knocked out, try to store it in a container with milk, saliva or saline and see your dentist as soon as possible on the same day- this may allow it to be reimplanted potentially saving the tooth!
Whilst the above steps may help you manage any dental discomfort, its still important to see a dentists ASAP in order to address the underlying issue and prevent further deterioration.