Serving patients throughout Caversham, Emmer Green and Reading
TMJ disorders (or Temporo-Mandibular Joint Dysfunction - TMD) can happen when the joint or muscles that allow the jaw to open and close are misaligned, damaged or overworked.
Problems with the function of this joint are common, with symptoms including joint pain, clicking, popping or locking of the jaw, limited opening, earaches, face aches and headaches. TMD can affect up to 30% of the adult population at some time or other. It is much more common in females than males.
TMD is described as multifactorial. Causes can include:
- Unbalanced bite
- Unbalanced dental work
- Increased muscle activity - Bruxism
- Stress including stress headaches
- Increased sensitivity to pain
- Wear and tear to the structures of the joint
- Certain types of arthritis
- Injury or Trauma
Recommended treatment for TMD is dependent on individual circumstances, considering the patient, the severity and duration of the problem and the cause. Common treatments include:
- Physical Therapy
- Pain Killers
- Habit control - with the use of night time splints (Appliances)
- Use of a bite appliance to help the jaw muscles relax
- Manual adjustment of the bite by selective reshaping of the teeth known as Equlibration
- Reconstructive dentistry
Your Prospect Street Dental Practice dentist will conduct a thorough consultation, looking at possible causes. We cover both inside and outside the mouth, examining for wear and tear to the teeth, the bite (occlusion) the muscles involved and the functioning of the joint. We discuss with you the causes, the likely outcomes and your treatment options.
If you are suffering from TMD, joint pain or have any concerns with your jaw function, give us a call on 0118 947 2517 to book a consultation today.